Think of your product detail page (PDP) as the pivotal moment in your customers purchasing decision process. It’s ultimately on this page where they’ll determine if they purchase from your site.
A successful product page needs to do the following for your customers:
1. Answer all product related questions
2. Allay concerns regarding delivery and returns costs
3. Create a sense of desire that motivates them to purchase.
With this trinity in mind, how well does your PDP perform? Does it include imagery of the product in use as well as flat or ‘cut out’ shots? Are unbiased customer reviews provided, preferably via a trusted 3rd party? Has content been optimised to be skimmable with both long and short form copy? Is there micro copy communicating the delivery and returns policy? Has high quality visual merchandising imagery been created that allows the customer to imagine the product fit to their lifestyle and needs?It’s on the Product Detail Pages, where we’ve observed that even small issues will often cause direct website and cart abandonments.
Check list – Does your PDP perform in this way?
• Allow zoom functionality to occupy at least 50% of page width on desktop – 100% on mobile
• Include lifestyle images with the product in a usage context and at correct scale
• Choose a unique button colour for conversion pathways through the site
• Provide either ‘tell me when in stock’ or backordering on relevant products
• Use an individual size button for each variation instead of a drop down